Monday, December 12, 2011

Does Kodak have a film chart for how long to develop black and white films at different degrees?

The black and white kodak film I have says to develop at 68潞 F for a certain amount of minutes. But the water in our building only goes down to 75潞 F. I've heard that Kodak has a chart that gives you the time/temperature ratio for developing black and white film. For instance, 68潞 F for 9 minutes or 75潞 F for 5 minutes. Right now I cannot find that chart. Does anybody know where I could find it?|||Hi Will! As a sentimental fool of and "old school" photographer--who started with B%26amp;W film, I'm glad to see photogs still learning the craft.





A simple solution to your dillema is to let your water cool-down by adding cold water until your reach 68 degrees; or just letting it sit until it reaches 68 degrees. That's how I did it when using my home darkroom, back in my younger photographer "daze!"





As you requested, here are some links to the charts you need:





The first is on Kodak's own website:


http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professio鈥?/a>





(If you don't already have Adobe Reader installed, you'll need to download it from http://www.adobe.com )





Here is another website that lists other b%26amp;w films:


http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.php





As a closing note--the lower temperatures (like 68 degrees) are preferable to the higher temperatures (which shorten your development times). "Low and slow is the way to go" was the way I was taught to develop my film (unless, of course, I was on one helluva tight deadline where every minute counts).





I hope this helps--and happy shooting!

No comments:

Post a Comment