Thursday, December 15, 2011

How can I get my stuck, unused film partway out of the roll?

I was loading my 35mm film into a new camera. I have no idea what happened, but somehow the film rewound back into the canister before I got to use it. I have no extra film %26amp; really need to get the tail of this one out so I can load it again. I don't have a film puller, either. I can't fish it out by hooking a paper clip onto anything. Any suggestions?|||Cut a thin piece of cardboard (or plastic, like a plastic notebook binder) Make it a little less wide than the felt opening of the film cartridge, and about 3" long. Attach a piece of tape to the end so that about an inch of the sticky is exposed. Work it inside the felt opening until the tape is all in and maybe an inch of the cardboard. Then turn the axle in the opposite direction of the opening. (The way I would hold it, that would be counter clockwise.) You might get lucky and catch the leader. Then just pull the cardboard out, hopefully with the leader attached. If the leader bends, just take scissors and trim the bent edge off.





Or, any lab will be glad to extract the film leader for you.|||cant be done, it is an unfortunate saftey feature of the film to when it is fully rewound and put completely into the canister then you cannot get it out until you send it for development or get it out with equipment like a film puller.

No comments:

Post a Comment