Sunday, December 4, 2011

What is the best way to unload medium format film (120) for commercial processing?

I just bought a Holga camera but I'm not sure what the best way to get the film out for processing is. Do I need to do it in a darkroom/safebag and transfer the film to a special bag for processing?|||When you take it out of your camera, make sure you roll it tightly so no light will get to the film. In college when I used a medium format camera, all I did was take it out of the camera (it winds the film for you) and make sure the paper part that is visible is tightly wrapped around the spool. Don't unroll it any. Just make sure when unloading the film you have a tight grip on it so no light gets exposed. I used to store my film after I used it just like any other film in my camera bag. You don't need to put it in a special bag to take it to get processed--I never had any problems with light leaks. Keep in mind, if you do have issues with light leaks, it may be in your camera, Holgas tend to do that a lot. Just apply tape around the camera base where there may be light leaks, so your film doesn't get damaged.





You'll probably need to take it to a specialty place to process your film unless you are doing it yourself at home or in a studio. Places like Wal-Mart and Rite-Aid etc. are not able to process these films. You'll need to go to specialized camera places for film like this.





Hope this helps!|||Honestly I know nothing about cameras, Sorry...|||As a big fan of holga's and shoot many rolls of film with mine, i have found that my holga will not always roll the film tight enough in camera, so it is best (for my holga) to unload the film in a darkroom or safe bag. but if your holga winds tight enough it will not matter. when your finished with the roll and remove the back and notice it is not tight then cover back up and remove somewhere dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment