Monday, December 5, 2011

What is the difference between a film and digital camera?

I really want the Minolta Maxxum HTsi Plus, but it's saying that it's a film camera. How would I be able to upload the pictures onto the computer?


I'm such a noob when it comes to cameras.|||A digital camera (or digicam) is a camera that takes video or still photographs, or both, digitally by recording images via an electronic image sensor.


A film camera is a camera that takes still photographs on a thin photosensitive plastic film.|||G'day Liz,





Thank you for your question.





This Wikipedia article has the details.





http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_ver鈥?/a>





It also states:





"Film photographs may be digitally scanned into a computer with a scanner. They may then be manipulated as digital images. Several methods are available:


^A reflective image scanner may be used; inexpensive flatbed scanners can scan an image on paper media.


*An expensive and very high resolution drum scanner can scan reflective and transparent media.


*A Flying spot scanner can scan reels of film quickly.


*A dedicated film scanner, such as the Nikon Coolscan (pictured), can scan 35 mm transparencies and negatives. Other film scanners can scan 120 film, typically up to 6 x 7 cm or 6 x 9 cm.


*A digital camera on a copy stand can photograph the source image.


*A slide projector can project the image from a transparency onto a screen, so the digital camera can photograph it."





I understand that there are services that can upload the photos for you.





Regards





Regards|||With film cameras, when you get your rolls of film developed you can order prints or a CD of the images at the same time.





A roll of film + development + a CD of the images will cost about $10 for 36 images.





A used Minolta Maxxum HTsi Plus with a kit lens in good condition goes for about $140.





To put that in perspective, a basic dSLR camera with a kit lens costs about $500 brand new (Pentax K-x, Canon XS, Nikon D3000) and you get all your pictures for free. So after about 40 rolls of film (1500 pictures) a digital camera works out cheaper.





And with digital you'll probably take a lot more pictures (with a lot more keepers!) and have more fun in the process - precisely because you don't hear a cash register in the back of your mind ringing up $0.30 for every shot.


---


added:





I don't subscribe to that old school learn-with-film philosophy.





I own about a half dozen cameras, both film and digital, and when I want to be deliberate I can grab any of them; they all have a manual mode and they all fit on a Wimberley P5 quick release plate for tripod work.





I only use three of my cameras.





When I want large prints from a single shot, I use a medium format film camera.





When I want a camera that'll fit in my coat pocket, I use a 35mm rangefinder.





For everything else, I use a digital SLR. It does everything the film SLR will and then some:


* I can get instant feedback from a histogram.


* I can use ISO 100 for one shot and ISO 800 for the next.


* I can email pictures from the moment I get home.


* I can take 200 pictures in an afternoon without worrying about the cost. Not an issue if your goal for the day is to photograph a tree, but for events it's quite handy ;-)|||With film you have to carefully consider each shot since you have a limited number of pictures per roll of film. so if you want to hone your skills in composition then it would be better to do film. because you actually need to think about each shot before you shoot it.





Digital Cameras will help you save money in the long run since you would not have to buy rolls and rolls of film everythime you shoot. easier to print and to view in a compputer. no nasty chemichals to tinke with in a dark room anymore. Each type has good and bad points on it. it would really depend on your preferences.|||In response to OMG, I 鈾?PONIES!!1, i've found the opposite to be true. My photography and the keeper quota has improved tremendously by shooting film from time to time, as i simple waste less time with shots that are pointless anyway and invest it into those that have actual potential, thus making those even better. On film, every shot matters, and that helped me to shoot much more deliberate and careful. Personally, i find that to be much more enjoyable than to snapshoot around carelessly.|||A lot of film processing services can include a CD with scanned pics for a small additional fee when you get your film developed and printed. These would be easy to upload.

No comments:

Post a Comment